From the pearly white sands of Whitehaven Beach, the imposing mountains of the Lofoten Islands to the magical Northern Lights in Iceland, travel with us to the most beautiful places on earth. Because our world is so gorgeous, making a list with only 5 locations is nearly impossible! But let’s give it a try anyway and share the most beautiful destinations inside and outside Europe. These places and countries, far from home and close by, deserve a place on your travel bucket list!
1. Lofoten Islands, Norway
Imposing fjords, snow-dotted peaks, sheer cliffs bordering white sandy beaches, hidden coves, and picturesque villages. The Lofoten archipelago is considered as one of the most magnificent destinations in the world, not just in Europe. Travel to this unique, rugged archipelago above the Arctic Circle and discover its 80 fascinating little islands.
What is there to do in Lofoten?
- Beat the rough waves on a surfboard! The Lofoten Islands are counted among the northern surfing destinations.
- Go skiing or snowboarding with a sea view.
- Spot the Northern Lights! Due to its extreme northern location, the Lofoten archipelago is one of the best places to admire this magical color spectacle.
2. Banff National Park, Canada
Banff National Park is very high on the bucket list. Why? Can’t wait to see the clear, bright blue water reflecting the surrounding snowy peaks of Lake Moraine with your own eyes. You must visit this special photogenic – and also oldest – national park in Canada. You will be fascinated to see such crystal clear water.
What else is there to see in Banff National Park?
- Get in the car for a road trip along the Icefields Parkway connecting Banff National Park to Jasper National Park. The ultimate Canada road trip!
- Visit the thermal waters in the caverns of the Cave and Basin National Historic Site.
- Discover Banff National Park by bike and follow the Banff Legacy Trail right through the park.
3. Whitehaven Beach, Australia
Secretly my personal favorite and if you ask me the most beautiful beach in the world: Whitehaven Beach in Australia. From Hill Inlet, you look out over the swirling waves that flow through the water in all kinds of shades of blue and the pearly white beach. Walk over the smooth, white sand with your feet and dive into the crystal blue sea. It’s so bright that you can count each and every grain of sand.
My tips for your visit to Whitehaven Beach
- Combine a trip to Whitehaven Beach with a multi-day sailing trip through the Whitsunday Islands. Three magical days on the water in one of the most beautiful parts of Australia!
- Book a plane trip and see this amazingly beautiful beach from above!
- Camp at Whitehaven Beach and enjoy one of the most beautiful places on earth for even longer.
4. Machu Picchu in Peru
Machu Picchu in Peru should of course not be missing from this list of most beautiful places on earth. The ruins of the former Inca city are on the UNESCO World Heritage List and are called one of the seven new wonders of the world. Yes, you really have to go here!
What to do at Machu Picchu?
- Walk to Machu Picchu via the Inca Trail. This 45-kilometer hiking route takes you through the Andes Mountains to the lost Inca city.
- Is walking 45 kilometers a bit too far for you? Take the train from Cusco!
- To limit the number of tourists that visit Machu Picchu per day – and thus protect the historic site – you need an entrance ticket. Book this well in advance, because Machu Picchu is popular!
5. The Cook Islands
Have you ever heard of the Cook Islands? On this island group in the Pacific Ocean, you can imagine yourself in an episode of Expedition Robinson. Imagine: with a coconut in your hand you are lying in a hammock on a vast, white sand beach. Your eyes wander over the clear turquoise sea and the sun leaves freckles on your skin. You never want to go home!
On holiday to the Cook Islands
- Prepare for a long journey. The Cook Islands are located in the Pacific Ocean near New Zealand. That’s a lot of hours on the plane.
- The long journey is well worth it: time to go island hopping between paradisiacal, uninhabited islands!
- Tired of lounging on the beach? Paddle in a canoe through the Aitutaki lagoon.
Put these places on your next trip bucket list!
Our earth is full of beauty. We cannot explore each and everything in our universe but we can explore the most beautiful places that are within our reach. Take a break from your hectic schedule and relax in a tranquil location. Plan a trip to the destinations mentioned above and have a good period of your life.